Couples collaborating: Farrow and Allen
For ten years, Farrow starred in all thirteen of Allen's films. The collaboration began in 1982, with A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy, with Farrow part of the ensemble. Farrow soon became Allen's romantic interest in films (Zelig or Broadway Danny Rose), but more often she became the lead character. Farrow is the protagonist in films like The Purple Rose of Cairo and September. In three of the films--Alice, Hannah and Her Sisters and Another Woman--Farrow portrays the titular character.
Their last film together, Husbands and Wives, features (in an eerie similarity to reality) Allen and Farrow as a couple whose marriage is disintegrating. Allen's character takes up with nineteen year-old Juliette Lewis. The film opened around the same time Farrow (and the world) discovered Allen had begun a relationship with Soon Yi Previn, Farrow's twenty year-old adopted daughter.
For Allen's first film after Husbands and Wives, he had to recast Farrow's role. Diane Keaton (both an ex-girlfriend and former leading lady) returned for Manhattan Murder Mystery.
The Library has most of the couple's films. Of course, we also have wide selection of Allen and Farrow's other films; if you're interested, a librarian can help you find more....
- A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy (1982), costarring Mary Steenburgen and José Ferrer
- Zelig (1983), costarring Saul Bellow and Susan Sontag
- Broadway Danny Rose (1984), costarring Nick Apollo Forte
- The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985), costarring Jeff Daniels and Danny Aiello
- Hannah and Her Sisters (1986), costarring Michael Caine and Barbara Hershey
- Radio Days (1987), costarring Seth Green and Diane Keaton
- September (1987), costarring Sam Waterson and Elaine Stritch
- Another Woman (1988), costarring Gene Hackman and Gena Rowlands
- New York Stories (1989), costarring Larry David and Julie Kavner
- Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989), costarring Martin Landau and Anjelica Huston
- Alice (1990), costarring William Hurt and Alec Baldwin
- Shadows and Fog (1991), costarring Madonna and Jodie Foster
- Husbands and Wives (1992), costarring Liam Neeson and Judy Davis