Couples collaborating: Woodward and Newman
When Paul Newman retired from acting in 2002, eight years before his death (except for voicing "Doc Hudson" in 2006's Cars), he stayed active in filmmaking. His widow, Joanne Woodward, has just signed on to executive produce a project Newman had been putting together.
This new film, titled Lucky Them and starring Marisa Tomei, Thomas Haden Church and Allison Janney, is at least a year away. But Newman and Woodward have been collaborating on films practically since they met. The actors worked together on stage in a production of Picnic in 1953. A few years later, they met again on the set of The Long, Hot Summer and married soon after.
For over thirty years, the couple together made various films. In addition, Newman directed other films starring Woodward.
Starring Newman and Woodward
- The Long, Hot Summer (1958), costarring Orson Welles and Lee Remick
- Rally 'Round the Flag, Boys! (1958), costarring Joan Collins and Tuesday Weld
- From the Terrace (1960), costarring Myrna Loy and Barbara Eden
- Winning (1969), costarring Robert Wagner and Richard Thomas
- WUSA (1970), costarring Anthony Perkins and Laurence Harvey
- The Drowning Pool (1975), costarring Anthony Franciosa and Melanie Griffith
- Mr. and Mrs. Bridge (1975), costarring Blythe Danner and Kyra Sedgwick
Starring Woodward, directed by Newman
- Rachel, Rachel (1968), costarring Estelle Parsons and Donald Moffat
Denver Public Library has a wide selection of Woodward and Newman's other films, if you're interested, a librarian can help you find more....
All DPL locations will be closed November 27, and will close at 4 p.m. November 26. The Westwood Branch Library will be closed November 27-30. More...