Magazine of the Month - The New Brewer
A craft brewery also called a microbrewery is defined as a small independent brewery with an annual production of less than 6 million barrels.
Published by the Brewers Association in Boulder Colorado, The New Brewer magazine was started in 1983 to promote the craft brewing industry. The magazine features articles about brewing technology, brew pub management, beer sales and distribution as well as the latest industry news. Each May the magazine publishes the "Industry Review" with the latest charts, facts and figures about the craft brewing industry.
Some interesting facts from the Colorado Brewers Guild:
- Colorado has 139 licensed breweries.
- Colorado ranks third in breweries per capita by state.
- In 2011 all Colorado breweries paid $100 million in federal, state and local taxes.
- Colorado has the highest percentage at 20% of draft beer consumed in the U.S.
- New Belgium Brewing Co in Fort Collins is the third largest craft brewery in the U.S. based on beer sales volume.
- Colorado is home to about 20 hop farms.
- The economic impact of the entire Colorado beer industry on the state is an estimated $18.5 billion.
If you would like to try your hand at making your own beer the Denver Public Library subscribes to Zymurgy magazine also published by the Brewers Association and Brew Your Own as well as books on home brewing.