The Musical Mothers and Fathers of Mumford & Sons
Like other revivalists, Mumford & Sons have put their unique stamp on the sound but much of it harkens back to earlier eras of bluegrass and country. Here are some of my favorite artists and collections that exemplify some of the same soulful singing, tales of love and yearning, and driving instruments that have made Mumford such an exciting band to see rise up so quickly and pack venues with thousands of foot-stomping fans.
- Roscoe Holcomb
- Bill Monroe
- Ralph Stanley / The Stanley Brothers
- Earl Scruggs / Flatt & Scruggs
- Doc Watson
- Reverend Gary Davis
- Friends of Old Time Music (includes Dock Boggs, Clarence Ashley, and The New Lost City Ramblers)
- Classic Appalachian Blues (includes Etta Baker and Roscoe Holcomb)
Not ready to go quite that far back in time? Try these contemporaries (and in some instances, collaborators).
- Jerry Douglas
- Gillian Welch & Dave Rawlings
- Sam Bush
- Old Crow Medicine Show
- Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
- Carolina Chocolate Drops
Is that enough to tide you over? What other past and present artists do you think belong on this list?
All DPL locations will be closed November 27, and will close at 4 p.m. November 26. The Westwood Branch Library will be closed November 27-30. More...