Chew and Review: Mac n Cheese Pancake Recipe Review
I. LOVE. THIS. COOKBOOK. Seriously people, is there a more fun-to-read, easy-on-your-busy-lifestyle, creative cookbook out there?
Fun to read because he's so entertaining and funny and he has a potty mouth that keeps it real.
Easy because I had left over macaroni to use for a pasta salad later in the week and although I do prefer to make things from scratch, using the dry pancake mix was a cinch. With all that maple-y, crunchy, cheesy goodness, I couldn't tell it was from a box.
And creative because his combination of simple ingredients leads to the most awesome meals! Mac n cheese pancakes was the perfect breakfast for dinner food. Crazy good!
- 3 cups pancake batter (Mr. Shopsin recommends Aunt Jemima frozen batter but I couldn't find that so I used the Aunt Jemima classic dry mix which was very good)
- 1 heaping cup of cooked elbow macaroni
- 1 heaping cup feather-shredded cheese (I used a more chunky shred and it turned out great)
- Butter and maple syrup (the syrup soaking into the caramelized cheese is what really makes this dish a-mazing)
Watch an Amateur Cook 'Em
The biggest challenge was working in a skillet instead of a griddle. I had a little anxiety flipping with all of the cheese piled on top but I got the hang of it after a few batches. I'm including a video of me flipping and my family's reaction. I'm also including a video of Kenny making them himself. He does it way better but even he gets one that's a little off. So don't feel bad if you try this recipe and you get a few cakes that are ugly. It's not about pretty, it's about delicious.
One last bit: if you can't get enough of this character, Kenny Shopsin:
- Shopsin's Oh my, what a treat! Be sure to check out the Novelties section and the gigantic Menu (pdf)
- New York Times article
- I Like Killing Flies
Watch Kenny Cook 'Em