National Coming Out Day
Whether you are planning a celebratory dinner party or an intervention, the Library has documentaries chronicling the history and experiences of homosexual American citizens seeking acceptance. Here are a few of my favorites:
- After Stonewall updates the viewer from the Stonewall riot in 1969 to 1998.
- Coming Out Under Fire provides an overview of the 1993 Senate Armed Forces Committee hearings on gays in the military.
- Tying the Knot highlights the union that is dividing America.
- The Celluloid Closet depicts the gay stereotypes featured in American cinema.
- Chris & Don is a visual celebration of the 30 year love affair between writer Christopher Isherwood and Don Bachardy.
- Out of the Past was a 1998 Sundance Film Festival Winner.
- For the Bible Tells Me So shares the stories of people of faith who handle the realization of having a gay child or family member.
If you know someone who is struggling with self acceptance, the Library also has books which may help. Please contact the Library nearest you or our online reference service AskColorado.org for more assistance. Sometimes words fail me and I don't have all the answers so my plan for October 11 is to give out hugs to everyone who needs them.
Building Maintenance Closures. More...
Prospector will be unavailable 7-11 a.m. on Tuesday, August 26.