Get a Library Card
Any Denver or Colorado resident may obtain a free library card by visiting one of our 24 Denver Public Library locations. You may also Register Online (Solicitud para tarjeta--en español) to expedite your application and receive limited access to our materials. A permanent library card is required to use eBooks, Audio eBooks and eFlicks.
In order to receive your permanent library card, please bring photo identification and verification of address to one of our Denver Public Library locations. If you are under 13 years of age, your parent or guardian must accompany you to the library to show his or her picture ID and verification of address.
Children ages 5-18 living in the City and County of Denver may choose to sign up for the MY Denver Card for use as their library card and to gain free access to all Denver Parks and Recreation Centers.
See the Group/Business card application to apply for a shared card for your business or organization.
Preferred Forms of Identification
- Colorado Driver's License*
- Colorado Identification Card*
- Government issued ID Cards including Military Identification
- University or School Identification
*Colorado State DL or ID is preferred, but we accept out-of-state DLs or IDs until you can obtain Colorado identification.
Verification of Address
If your current address is not listed on your photo identification, please bring one of the following documents along with your photo ID:
- Utility bill (phone, electric, water)
- Official mail with a recent postmark (bank statement, insurance bill, etc.)
- Vehicle registration
- ACP Authorization Card (www.acp.colorado.gov)
Using and Replacing Your Card
- Please bring your card on each library visit.
- Report lost or stolen library cards immediately.
- Picture identification is necessary to replace a lost or stolen library card. Parents/legal guardians must provide picture ID to replace the card of children under 13.
- It is your responsibility to let us know when you have changed your mailing address, telephone number or email address so we may contact you regarding your library account.
- You can check your library card online by logging in to My Account, or by calling any Library location during regular business hours.
Information for Parents
In addition to those mentioned above, your Library Card entitles you to these privileges and responsibilities:
- You may return Denver Public Library materials to any metro-area library.
- Denver Public Library card holders may apply for borrowing privileges at any participating library in Colorado under the Colorado Library Card program.
- You may receive email, text or phone notification about any hold items ready for pick-up, and overdues. If you choose to receive notices by email or text messaging (not phone) you will receive a courtesy reminder before an item is due and overdue notices at 2, 10 and 30 days overdue.
- You may lose your borrowing privileges until any overdue items are returned and fines and fees are paid.
- You may be referred to a collection agency for recovery of long overdue items or excessive fines.
Denver Public Library cardholders may borrow circulating materials, including books, DVDs, Blu-ray, CDs and magazines.
The Denver Public Library issues a library card to an individual. The card should be used only by the person to whom it has been issued. The card must be presented by the cardholder to access his or her record. The individual to whom the card is issued is responsible for the following:
- The return, in good condition, of all materials borrowed
- Payment of fines incurred for any overdue, damaged or lost materials
- Reporting a lost or stolen card immediately
- All charges on the card until it is reported lost or stolen
- Reporting promptly any changes in name, address or phone number
- All charges on the card as the result of lending the card or library materials to another individual
- Parents or guardians of a library cardholder agree to be responsible for the above and to teach their child Library rules and guidelines to help in the use of his or her card
Please keep the following in mind when checking out and returning CDs, DVDs, Blu-ray and Audio Books:
- The Denver Public Library is not responsible for any damage caused to your playback equipment by these materials.
- Please make sure all pieces of the item are included before you check out or return an item.
- Incomplete items may not be accepted for return.
If an item is returned missing one or more pieces, you will receive notification that the item remains on your card pending resolution. If the problem hasn't been resolved within 40 days of the return of the item, you will be charged a replacement fee and processing fee for the item. No fee adjustments or refunds will be offered for materials returned after this 40-day period.
For more information please call Central Circulation at 720-865-1325.
Managing Your Account
Manage your account by updating phone numbers, email addresses, and notification options. You may renew items, view checkouts, overdues, and more. View your account online with My Account, or call a staff member at 720-865-1325 during Library hours or visit one of our locations.
Library Card and Borrowing Policy
View the official Library Card and Borrowing Policy page adopted by the Denver Public Library Commission, May 16, 2013.
ABOUT THE LIBRARY
- Library Card
- Locations & Hours
- Budget Information
- Bond Improvements
- Facts & Press
- Computers & Tech
- Community Learning Plazas
- Friends Foundation
- Support the Library
- Library Commission
- Contact Us